Beauford to New Bern

Home Up

Previous Port: Ft Lauderdale to Beauford, SC

Beauford, SC

May 27-28, 2005

Anchorage: N 32025.079, W080040.627

After another night at sea, we arrived in Beauford, South Carolina. There is a beautiful waterfront park to enjoy but it was taken up by the Gullah Festival. That limited the access for other folks.

The traffic was heavy on the water and the "no wake" zone didn't impress too many boaters. After one trip ashore, where we tied the dinghy for free, we headed back to the boat and made plans for our premature departure.

Tom Point Creek, SC

May 29, 2005

Anchorage: N 32038.921  W080017.681

Hamlin Sound, SC

May 30, 2005

Anchorage: N 32050.487  W079045.028

Butler Island, SC

May 31-June 1, 2005

Anchorage: N 33025.557  W079012.348

The current on this section of the ICW gave us a much welcomed boost in speed. Most of the time we did 7+knots at less than 1500rpm. Butler Island was not a special anchorage but a 20knot headwind kept us there an extra day. Not even the current would have helped much in that wind.

Waccamaw River, SC

June 2-3, 2005

Anchorage: N 33039.967  W079004.204

View from Escapades' deck. At anchorage on the Waccamaw River. Scene on the morning of our departure. Escapades is firmly planted in the hyacinths.

What a beautiful anchorage, nestled in among the trees. This has to be my all-time favorite anchorage for scenery. We stayed two days because it was just that beautiful and so very calm and peaceful. The temperature was great but the occasional rain made it a little uncomfortable with high humidity.

I didn't want to leave and I guess Escapades didn't either. The morning of our departure found her settled amidst the water hyacinths. Water hyacinths are pretty powerful when you are stuck in the middle of them. We hadn't drug anchor into them. That apparently was where she sat each morning at that time - we just hadn't been awake to see it. During our stay we had watched a log wash out with the tide, around an island, and back in the other side at the next tide. It was pretty obvious that the boat would free herself as the tide changed but we had a long day ahead of us. Waiting for the tide was not a good option. We couldn't turn the rudder or the prop so there was no help from the engine. Using the windlass and anchor, it took about an hour to pull out of the hyacinths. That experience was the price we paid for our scenic anchorage.

Battery Island, NC

June 4, 2005

Anchorage: N 33054.782  W078000.700

Part of the day we enjoyed more beautiful views along rivers in South Carolina. Too soon we left the river and headed up the shallow, busy North Carolina portion of the ICW. Never have we seen that much water traffic. It made for a very long, tense passage. Then the anchorage we had planned on had too many docks jetting out, so we headed across the Cape Fear River to Butler Island for a somewhat bouncy - but not too bad- night.

Wrightsville Beach, NC

June 5, 2005

Anchorage: N 34018.346  W078048.041

Florida finally lost it's title as having the most jackass boaters, per capita, in the world. Never have we see so many, in such a small area. There were very few boaters with any courtesy at all. You couldn't ride their wake, as you would normally have done, because there were so many other boats close by. The amazing thing was the number of people pulling children on tubes. Some folks were even swimming while all those asses just kept blasting by. Until quite late, the anchorage was even filled with blasting boats. Some seemed to try to get as close to the anchored boats as possible. It wasn't even a pretty anchorage on top of that.

Lookout Bight, NC

June 6, 2005

Anchorage: N35006.102  W77002.436

According to the Waterway Guide this anchorage is supposed to be one of the prettiest in the Carolinas. I can't imagine what they were seeing. It is in a cove with beaches all around and a lighthouse, but there was really nothing special that we could see.

On the passage to Lookout Bight, we finally caught our first fish. What a shock that was when the reel started spinning out. Of course, Bob was down below. I reeled and reeled and reeled but just couldn't get it in. Bob finally came above and was able to pull the 30" king mackerel aboard. Of course, we didn't know what it was, for sure, until we were able to log onto the internet that night.

We put the boat on idle speed so we could decide what to do with this big thing. Neither of us had ever cleaned or filleted a fish before but we do have three books. Bob pulled out the filleting table and went to work on the fish while I read the books to him. The three didn't seem to agree on exactly what to do, but somehow we managed to get some fillets. I'm sure we wasted more fish than necessary but it was the learning experience.

The meat was somewhat gray but cooked into a nice white fish. The taste was mild which was surprising. I didn't particularly enjoy eating it that night or the next because of the catching, killing, and cleaning thing. I hope to overcome that feeling because we do want to fish again.

Oriental, NC

June 7, 2005


The planned stay in Oriental didn't quite work out. There was no Cingular signal. That meant no cell phone and no internet. We spent that night in the marina but headed out to New Bern the next morning, hoping for a marina with a phone signal. If we find it, we'll spend a month there.

Next Port: New Bern to Great Bridge