Gloucester, MA to NYC

Home Up

Previous Port: Neddick Point, ME

Gloucester, MA
October 2, 2005

Anchorage: N42035.654  W070039.915    This was an overnight stop only.

Provincetown, MA
October 3, 2005

Anchorage: N42003.101  W070010.173    This was an overnight stop only.

New Bedford, MA
October 4-6, 2005

Anchorage: N41038.286  W070054.749

This is one of the few places we chose to spend more than one night just for the fun of it. There were several places we had said we would check out on our way back. New Bedford was one of those places. What always happens is that when we start "back" someplace we just want to keep going. 

Our interest was really piqued in whales because we had spotted four of them during our time in Maine & Mass. There wasn't a chance of us capturing one on film but what magnificent creatures they are. No matter how many times you tell yourself they are huge, there is no real comprehension of just how mammoth they really are. The first one I spotted (a humpback) was quite close to the boat with only a portion of his back exposed. That was quite enough for me. We saw only one that did the tail-in-the-air dive thing but it was awesome to see. So, of course, the Whaling Museum was a given.

We also enjoyed strolling the old downtown cobblestone streets of New Bedford, visiting the Seaman's Bethel (from Moby Dick), and of course having lunch. Funny how you miss something so simple as eating out.

Block Island, RI
October 7-9, 2005

Anchorage: N41011.453  W071034.683

Block Island was totally different from our visit there in July. It was more like a ghost town. There were only two other boats anchored and maybe a dozen or so on moorings. Without all the boats the area (including the anchorage) seemed huge.

The weather was miserable with high wind and rain. The temperatures seemed to drop more everyday. We had to wait for conditions to improve in the Long Island Sound before we could leave Block Island.

Duck Island, CT
October 10, 2005

Anchorage: N41015.978  W072029.085

This was one of the best days we'd had at sea in a long time. Even though there were six foot seas, the frequency was such that we just rolled over them. Bob had timed our entrance through The Race just right with the flood tide. Even with light winds, we were doing 7.5kts much of the time. We dropped anchor on the Connecticut side of Long Island Sound around 3:30 in the afternoon.

Port Jefferson, NY
October 11-14, 2005

Anchorage: N40057.650  W073004.686

It was a better than average day for sailing. The wind kicked up to over 20kts before we entered the Port Jefferson harbor so Bob decided to take the genoa in. For the second time, for no reason we can determine, the genoa locked and refused to furl. After several attempts it was obvious that the only way we could get it down was to drop it. How I hate those situations. Now, I'm not sure if we forgot to center the main sail or exactly what happened but as Bob began lowering the genoa, the wind filled both sails and off we went - heeled a good 40 degrees or more. There was no way to turn the boat into the wind at that point. I kept trying and trying; even revved the engine full throttle, to no avail, until it began overheating. By then, Bob is hanging onto the bowsprit while the bow is bouncing and pounding into the waves.  Now, our genoa is one big sail; enough of it had been released that Bob was completely buried under it. Much of the time while I'm trying to get control of the boat, I'm not sure if he is still up there or gone overboard. I had no idea what to do except pray. I was so totally terrified. It seemed the more I tried turning into the wind the more the boat heeled. I was so afraid we were going over that I released my hold a little on the wheel. That's all it needed to head off the wind. Before I knew what was happening we were downwind but, thank God, we weren't pounding and bouncing and I could hold the boat. Now, I know this is not the way to lower sails but it's the only way we could make it work in this case. Of course, this huge sail is blowing all over the place while Bob is trying to get it down. When he yelled at me to go below to open the hatch I could hardly walk - my legs were shaking so bad. After it was all over, I had a good cry and finally stopped shaking an hour or so later.

Add this anchorage to the "will never be good" list of bad anchorages. The ferry runs about every thirty minutes. At each trip, we rocked so badly that we had to keep everything secured down. On top of that we had rain and more rain. It seemed like it would never stop. We were stuck there, not because of the rain but because of high seas in The Sound. The constant rain kept us from even getting off the boat

Oyster Bay, NY
October 16-17, 2005

Anchorage: N40053.715  W073031.902

Even as desperate as we were to leave Port Jefferson, when we got into the Sound, we almost turned back. The winds were 20-27kt and the seas were 6-8 feet.  This was not at all what the NOAA weather report said it was doing. Not convinced that it was the wise thing to do, we kept going anyway. Thankfully, the wind and seas finally calmed some.

Once we arrived in Oyster Bay, we were sure glad we hadn't turned around. This anchorage was as good as some of the others have been bad. The sun finally came out the second day but the winds were up to 40kts. Even with the strong wind this was a calm anchorage and the holding was excellent.

Little Neck Bay, NY
October 18, 2005

Anchorage: N40047.155  W073045.912

It was another rough passage but with perseverance and lots of tacking we made it to Little Neck Bay. The holding was good, but for no apparent reason it would get rolly at times. It was exciting to know that New York City was just around the corner.

 

Next Port: NYC to Norfolk