NYC To Norfolk, VA

Home Up

Previous Port:  Gloucester, MA to NYC

New York, NY
October 19-21, 2005

Mooring: N40047.213  W073059.256

This was a must stop on our list. We picked up a mooring at the 79th Street Yacht Basin on the Hudson River. Believe it or not, this is another "will never be good" anchorage. We rocked and rolled the whole time. Just picking up a mooring was a challenge with the wind blowing one way and the current going the other. It is rare that we don't get the mooring on the first try; this one took three attempts.

We didn't do much else in NYC. The thrill was coming into the city by boat. No way will you get that kind of impact from land. The buildings are awesome. The greatest thrill was seeing the Statue of Liberty sitting there in the water. I can't describe how great an experience that was - certainly the highlight of our passage south, at that point.


Escapades Entering the East River in NYC

Statue of Liberty Seen Through the Manhattan & Brooklyn Bridges

We took advantage of our one day of sunshine to walk in Central Park. I had been to NYC twice before but never to the park. It's hard to believe, but Bob couldn't remember having been in the park before, even though he lived in Brooklyn for over ten years.

We also checked out a couple of grocery-delis in Upper West Side Manhattan. This was like shopping in some South American country. Each of these stores had trays upon trays of prepared food, setting open, for customers to help themselves to. It was so crowded that people were almost climbing over each other to get to this food. Apparently, that's dinner for many Manhattan families. That may be "ok" for them but it's about the most unsanitary thing I've seen in the States.

Haverstraw Bay, NY
October 22-25, 2005

Anchorage: N41011.489  W073053.727

Still running from bad weather, we decided to head up the Hudson to get further away from possible strong winds. The anchorage just off Croton-on-Hudson in Haverstraw Bay was the first anchorage Bob felt would give us good protection. Hurricane Wilma was heading for Mexico at that time.

What we hoped would only be a couple of nights turned into four nights. The bad weather was unrelenting. The weatherman described the rains and heavy wind as a "Nasty Nor'easter". Wilma passed the afternoon of the 25th but, thankfully, didn't make as much of an impact as was originally thought.

Once again we were stuck on the boat. Even if the weather had been nice, there was no place to go ashore. Bob tried to land the dinghy on the beach our first day there but was met by Park Rangers who quickly informed him that boats were not allowed on the beach.

Atlantic Highlands, NJ
October 26-27, 2005

Anchorage: N40025.012  W074001.288

It was a relief to finally leave New York to continue our southward passage. The wind and current combined to make this 50+ mile trip a record breaker for us. It took only a little over 7 hours. Never has Escapades moved that fast through the water. At a few points we were doing 9.8kts. The speed was fantastic but, I must admit, a  little scary at times.

One very cold trip ashore at Atlantic Highlands was enough. We began getting too antsy to be on our way. A few more days in this anchorage would probably have made a great difference for our 2-night passage.

At Sea
October 28-29, 2005

This was the longest two-night passage in history. The seas were just bad enough to make doing anything below (including sleeping soundly) almost impossible. The weather was not so cold as we had feared but that was the only positive thing.

We arrived, completely exhausted, at Hospital Point Norfolk, VA around 1:00 p.m. on October 30. Even the boat shower felt like a luxury at that point. This felt almost like coming home. It's always comforting to go into a place where you know what to expect. We were really looking forward to our stay in Norfolk.

Next Port: Norfolk to Miami